In Times New Roman…” is an album that takes the listener on a journey through the personal struggles and experiences of frontman Josh Homme. The album is raw, brutal, and rough around the edges, but with a refinement that reveals itself further with each successive listen. Homme’s lyrics are as witty and withering as ever, adding to the unique charm of the album.
The album kicks off with “Obscenery”, a track that is instantly recognizable as a QOTSA effort. The band’s signature sound, a viscous cocktail of darkwave pop, boogie rock, and glam, is clearly present. This sound, combined with the dry, airless production, makes the album instantly recognizable.
One of the highlights of the album is “Paper Machete“, in which Homme takes aim at his ex, Brody Dalle. The bitterness and anger in his voice are palpable, giving the track a raw and honest quality. Other standout tracks include “Negative Space” and “Emotion Sickness”, in which Homme explores his inner struggles and the pain of loss and depression.
The album was recorded in Homme’s home studio and is largely produced by the band themselves, adding to the sense of authenticity and intimacy. Despite the heavy themes and raw emotion, “In Times New Roman…” is an album that will appeal to both fans of the band and new listeners.
Facts about the album:
- The album was released on June 16, 2023. 📅
- It is the eighth studio album by Queens of the Stone Age. 🎸
- The album was recorded at Pink Duck Studios, Shangri-La Studio, Dumbfox Studio. 🎙️
- The album was mixed by Mark Rankin. 🎚️
- The album features 10 tracks: “Obscenery”, “Paper Machete”, “Negative Space”, “Time & Place”, “Made to Parade”, “Carnavoyeur”, “What The Peephole Say”, “Sicily”, “Emotion Sickness”, and “Straight Jacket Fitting”. 🎵
- The album is available in various formats, including digital, CD, and vinyl (in various colors). 💿🎧🖥️